Kevin Trost has over 25 years of experience representing individuals, financial institutions, businesses, and insurers throughout the state and federal court systems. His legal expertise is in resolving disputes relating to real estate, construction, insurance, and banking.
Kevin has extensive experience handling disputes involving residential real estate. He frequently addresses claims that sellers of residential real estate failed to disclose defects during the transactions. In this context, he repeatedly represents and advises home buyers, sellers, contractors, and insurers regarding legal issues related to problems such as water damage, structural defects, and vermin infestations.
Attorney Trost is also well versed in civil litigation matters, especially those involving contracts, creditor’s rights, and the defense of claims under the FDCPA, FCRA, TCPA, and Wisconsin Consumer Act. He is also skilled at negotiating contracts for businesses, especially those operating in the financial services and construction industries.
Attorney Trost frequently addresses first and third party insurance matters. He has significant experience addressing products liability, contract, and toxic tort issues. He also represents insurers in first party property coverage matters involving fraud and arson.
While Kevin frequently counsels his clients to employ methods of modern alternative dispute resolution, he has served as first chair trial counsel for numerous lawsuits which have resulted in successful verdicts benefiting his clients. These trials have spanned from one day to multiple weeks and have covered a wide variety of legal issues, including liability for violations of federal banking statutes, product liability, bad faith insurance claims, and real estate.
Kevin is involved in the community through volunteer work for various associations including the State Bar of Wisconsin Attorney Hotline and serving on the board for the State Bar of Wisconsin Solo/Small Firm & General Practice Section. He also has shared his legal expertise through the publication of numerous articles for both lawyers and non-lawyers. Kevin has appeared in the media on the Larry Meiller Show on Wisconsin Public Radio, Channel 3000 CBS News, and NBC 15 WMTV News to discuss and answer questions regarding bankruptcy and claims arising from the discovery of undisclosed defects in the sale of homes.
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE LAW IN:
- State Courts of Wisconsin
- State Courts of Michigan
- Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Wisconsin
- Federal Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- The United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- J.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison Law School
- B.A., cum laude, Washington University
- Member, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Member, State Bar of Michigan
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Dane County Bar Association
- Elected Board Member, State Bar of WI Solo, Small Firm, & General Practice Section
- Member, Great Lakes Credit and Collection Association
- Legislative Committee, Great Lakes Credit and Collection Association
- Former Board Member, Wisconsin Collectors Association
- Member, American Collectors Association
- Former WI Attorney Point of Contact, American Collectors Association
- Volunteer, State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Hotline
- Best Lawyers® Award Recipient based on voting of peers working in the same practice areas and geographic region. Selected in the areas of:
Litigation - Banking and Finance
Litigation - Insurance
Litigation - Real Estate
- "Kevin represented me during litigation regarding non-disclosure for a house I purchased. After multiple people referred me to Kevin, I quickly realized that he is very-well respected by both his colleagues and other real-estate professionals in the area. He is definitely worthy of his reputation; throughout my litigation I was always impressed by his professionalism, timely replies, fair pricing, and honesty. With Kevin's help, my litigation was successful and saved me thousands of dollars, and now he will be acting as my attorney for the sale of my house. Look no further if you are looking for an honest and fair attorney!" - AK
- "Attorney Kevin Trost successfully represented me in two lawsuits. He did an excellent job and is very responsive. Highly recommend." - JG
- "Our company has used Attorney Trost on several occasions to review and revise contracts between us and our clients and vendors. Attorney Trost is a great communicator, is exceedingly professional and always completes his work in a timely fashion. He has consistently provided us with excellent guidance and we would strongly recommend his services." - NK
- "Our HOA found itself in a situation where it needed to initiate legal action to protect its rights against the developer. Kevin guided us through the legal process which involved complicated legal arguments and challenging personalities. Kevin’s demeanor, experience and creative problem solving successfully navigated us through both. We would 100% recommend Kevin and would not hesitate to use him again." - DS
- "Fortunately I have not needed Kevin for litigation. I have however, worked with him on a number of contracts. My favorite thing about working with Atty. Trost is his calm, knowledgeable demeanor. I have done my best to stump him, but he has made sure things come out in my best interest every time." - JL
- "Kevin is a strong advocate for the collection and credit industry. We’ve worked with Kevin for a number of years. He does his homework, is very prompt and has our back." - PK
- "I am very grateful to Kevin for representing my mother handling her legal affairs; and then later representing me, as an out-of-state client settling my mother's estate, which involved a very difficult and challenging family dynamic. I appreciated his guidance in helping me navigate all the necessary steps to close my mother's estate during that time. This has been a long journey but I am forever grateful to you, Kevin, and the work you did for us. You helped me navigate some rough waters. Thank you, Kevin!" - AA
- "Attorney Trost gets my highest accolades. I own a small business and I have hired him for a number of various projects. I can share that his attention to detail is impeccable, his follow-up is always timely, he is prompt, and he does exactly what he says he will do plus more! Kevin has terrific critical listening skills that serve him well when putting together his plan to assist his client in whatever the matter may be. Kevin gets my highest recommendation." - PK
- "Excellent Atty. Gets good result's and fees are fair. I have no hesitation in referring clients to him." - JM
- "Kevin is the go to attorney for real estate and residential construction disputes. He has a great deal of experience, and is the most cost effective in dealing with such cases." - RP
- "I worked with Atty Trost for several years; many of those years as managing partner of the Axley Law Firm. Atty Trost cares about his clients and the law. He is very fair in billing, gets excellent results, is respected by Judges and was the go to person for many attorneys, both at Axley and outside the firm. If you have a need for an attorney he would be my choice to help you." - JM
- "I have known Kevin Trost for over 20 years and, during that time, I have observed his qualities as both a lawyer and a person. Kevin is personable, insightful, committed to his clients and respected by the courts. Plus, he gets positive results." - PF
- "I have had the opportunity to work with Attorney Kevin Trost on a number of cases over the years. He is a skilled attorney who does an excellent job and works hard for his clients. He returns his phone calls promptly and is very professional. He is knowledgeable attorney. I would highly recommend." - JB
- "Kevin was extremely helpful. He was kind, thoughtful, and patient with us as we refinanced our mortgage. He always answered our many questions and his rates were very reasonable. We would definitely recommend Kevin." - DG
- "I endorse this lawyer. Kevin is an outstanding litigator and one hard working attorney." - JM
- "Kevin is a valued and trusted partner in litigation matters." - TH
- "I have worked with Kevin. He is an excellent attorney who practices in the areas of banking law, creditor representation and business litigation. I heartily endorse him." -RP
- "I endorse this lawyer. I have had the pleasure of working with Kevin for many years. Kevin is smart, ethical, diligent and experienced in many areas of the law." - PC